Thursday, July 23, 2009

Our 1 year well visit...

went well! I again was asked to educate a medical student about Nate and his Down syndrome. I am of course happy to do this, however, sometimes I would like us to just have a regular visit with our doc. Our doc always asks me to point out all of Nate's physical characteristics that are related to DS. I kind of go into automatic pilot now when I do this. Maybe it bugs me because I want the visit to really be about Nate...not just his Down syndrome. Does that make sense?

Anywho, here are his current stats:

Weight: 21.1 lbs
Height: 29 1/2 in.
Head Circumference: 45 cm

Yes, thank goodness, our Bean continues to be healthy. Our big issues now are with his swallowing and possible reflux. Today we meet with the nutritionist and will introduce "thick-it." Thick-it will hopefully help Nate be able to better swallow water. We also got a prescription for a reflux med, Ranitidine, to try. Nate does need to get his hearing tested again, but we have decided to wait and have that done at our next trip to Beantown and BCH.

AND of course we need to give a glasses update! Nate can now keep them on for 10-15 minutes at a time! We actually think he likes them!

I wonder what his world looks like now.........

3 comments:

  1. Yes that does make total sense about the dr. appt. I would be very irritated with that! As a matter of fact, I wrote a whole post about that stuff once!

    We also use Thick-It with Dylan as he struggles with thin liquids as well. We actually have a swallow study in Boston tomrrow, so Im curious to see how that will go.

    We've also been on Ranitidine and are now on Prevacid.

    Let me know when you'll be coming to Boston - maybe we can try to meet up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and I love it! So happy to find you and your little bean. Adorable baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! He looks so cute with the glasses!!

    ReplyDelete