Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Forgiveness....

My father and I didn't always have the easiest of relationships. He lived a "hard" life - - drank and smoked for many years. I am sure I didn't always help situations either. We were close, but definitely had bumps along the way........

At some point I just decided to not put these unreasonable expectations on my dad. I let go of the little stuff and decided to focus on what was good....I realized that he's had a tough life and I became more forgiving...That shift in my thinking changed a lot of things for us....

When I got pregnant with Nate, he vowed to call me every single night. I think there have only been a handful of days in the last few years that we haven't spoke. In fact I think I can count those evenings on my fingers. He hasn't come up to visit me often, but he does know everything about our days - From what we are having for dinner --to the weather (always a favorite topic), and course that daily scoop on the "Bean." My dad could tell you all of the things that Nate can do. He has been incredibly supportive and so just so confident that we will get through our toughest days. My dad seemed to have more faith in us than we had in ourselves....

My two cents for the day -----For those family relationships that are challenging -Look at where you can let go a bit - Hold the line with things that are very important, but also find opportunities to be forgiving. There is a reason your family members became the people they are -----My mom once shared with me a profound (yet so simple) revelation she had: Find forgiveness and have faith in the power of love.

You just never know when you'll have to say goodbye........


Dad and Lorie came to see us the day after Nate was born....

This was the first time he got to meet his grandson...

I love this picture.


2 comments:

  1. what a beautiful post. I am so glad you could find a wonderful relationship with your dad. I am so sorry you have to live without him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good reminder for all of us. We so often choose to hold on to being right or being justified because we were hurt, when, in light of eternity, it just doesn't matter. We always expect others to overlook our mistakes and weaknesses but rarely do the same for others. In letting go, we aren't saying that what we're hurt about wasn't important. But we ARE saying that enjoying relationships with our loved ones are more important than pride and pettiness. It's not all about us. No regrets.

    ReplyDelete